About Us and Our History
Family owned and operated in Indiana by the Hart family for over 100 years. William L. Hart started in Anderson Indiana in October 1912. He expanded the stores in Huntington, Elwood, Kokomo, Wabash and many other towns. In 1937 he moved the family to Winona Lake, IN and opened a store in Warsaw, IN. He formed a partnership in 1950 with his son William L. Hart Jr. and adopted the name H & H Shoes. The founder William L. Hart passed away in February 1963 at age 72. His wife and son William L. Hart Jr. made the company into a Sub S Corporation in 1965.
William L. Hart Jr. became president of the company in 1967, while still serving as supervisor for Schiff Shoes. He resigned from Schiff Shoes in February 1968. He then opened a new H & H Shoe store on May 15, 1968 in Kokomo Indiana. He ran the stores until 1990, then passed away in September 2007.
The current President, William David Hart worked in the stores thru high school and college. He joined full-time after graduation from Indiana University School of Business in Bloomington Indiana in 1975. A decision was made in 1980 to move the store to the west side of Kokomo and making it a family store. The company purchased land on Dixon Road to build their own free standing store. The construction of the building was started in 1984 and was open for business in September 1984. The H & H store downtown Kokomo was closed in 1985 and moved to join the location on Dixon Road. The Dixon Road location was forced to move in 2004 because of continued road construction on Dixon Road. The move was to 1805 E. Boulevard in Kokomo Town Center. We have now moved to a free standing building at 423 E. Lincoln Road in January 2015, which is where we are located now.